Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Baby Food for the Working Mom

I was not really sold on the idea of making Bink's baby food at first.  My mom told me how easy, quick, and inexpensive it was, but I rationalized that away.  She did it almost thirty years ago.  She was home with me.  She is superwoman and seems to find more hours in her day than other people have.

Hubby and I talked it over and I decided that I would give it a try.  If I hated it--or Bink hated it--I could always run to Target and buy him some good ole Gerber.  The day Bink got the go-ahead from the pediatrician, I was ready to get started!


 I approached making baby food the same way I approach anything I want to learn... my checking EVERY SINGLE book I could find at the library.  And finding as many websites as I possibly could.
 I settled on sweet potato puree for Bink's first "real" food (after rice cereal...which he hated!).  And I'll let you in on a little secret...baby food is just people food.  Smooshed up.  Without all the added crap.  Amazing.


Bink looooooved sweet potatoes and has been going strong with food ever since.  We have been exceptionally lucky with him in this area.  The only food I have ever seen him turn his nose up at was plain white potatoes.  He actually gagged like I was trying to poison him with them.  Every. Single. Time.  We tried them 10 times like "they" say you're supposed to.  And he gagged.  Every. Single. Time.  Until Hubby sneaked him a little Smart Balance.  Then suddenly potatoes weren't gag worthy anymore.

If you are interested in making your own baby food, I definitely think it's worth it for lots of reasons.  (And if you have questions, email me, I'll try to help!)

  1. You know EXACTLY what your little guy or gal is eating.  We buy almost exclusively organic produce for Bink.  Start checking the labels on some of the big baby food brands.  Many of them are just fine, but sometimes water is listed as the first ingredient.  Water!  That means instead of getting the banana-y goodness or whatever flavor baby should be eating, he's mostly getting water.  Not good.  Our state won't even recognize one of the leading organic brands as OK to be served at day (ie. eligible for the daycare providers to get state funding food supplement money) because the main ingredient is, you guessed it, water.
  2. Your baby can try out lots and lots of foods that don't come in prepackaged baby food containers.  Take a look in the baby food aisle.  Banana.  Apple.  Peach.  Sweet Potatoes.  Peas.  Very few branch out from the old favorites and this THE best time to be giving your baby a little bit of everything.  Bink's favorite puree is Mango.  Have you seen many Mango flavored jar foods out there?  I would never have known if I hadn't made it myself 
  3. It saves money.  I was skeptical about this at first since produce, especially organic, is expensive.  But I did the math (and I do it after most shopping trips for fun...yes, that's my idea of fun).  Don't trust me, check out Wholesome Baby Food's cost comparison sheet.  Yes, they were comparing conventional produce, but the savings are still there on organics if you shop smart. 
  4. It helps relieve a little Mommy guilt.  I feel better knowing he's eating healthy, delicious food that I prepared for him...even if I'm not there with him at lunch time to enjoy it.
  5. It's fun!  I know, after #3 you don't trust I know what fun is.  I don't blame you.  I really do enjoy it though.  And I am not talented in the cooking department.  Just ask Hubby.  Who cooks all our meals for us.  Except once a month or so when he lets me take a stab at it, I burn whatever it was we are going to have for dinner, and he takes the reins away from me again.  Even I can make baby food.  Plus I love looking up fun recipes and trying to think of new things for Bink to try.  Even now when Bink is eating more solid food, I still try to get a cube or two of puree in him so I know he's getting the good stuff (and enough of it).

Look for another post soon (hopefully tomorrow) with some great baby food resources and a step-by-step demo (from my very own tiny kitchen).

Have you tried making your own baby food?  What's your baby favorite thing to eat?

3 comments:

  1. I am really happy to say it’s an interesting post to read. I learn new information from your article, you are doing a great job. Keep it up
    easy way to calculate your car worth

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is very informative and interesting for those who are interested in blogging field.
    I found this blog - HOW TO MAKE MONEY BY RECYCLING CARS

    ReplyDelete
  3. very nice… i really like your blog. Very useful informations. Thx
    We found the list of Roblox song ids

    ReplyDelete